Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Being a gentleman who opens door for ladies...

There's a time I was thinking if being a gentleman in Malaysia is acceptable in the society. Well, the answer is obviously YES. However, I gave thought to it again and I found that being a gentleman is not so encouraging. For example, today I opened a door for two girls to enter before me. One nodded with a smile. The other, sad to say, did neither smile or nod at me. She just walked past with her head up high and eyes staring straight ahead. In my heart, I was like screaming, 'Hey! Say thanks, bitch!'.

So being a gentleman in Malaysia has it days too huh? Of course, these happens everywhere and its just whether it's acceptable by the person at a certain period at a certain place. I'd seen an Australian kid 'fark-off' an old lady in the public queueing for the bus. So I can say, at a certain place at the right time, being a gentleman is consider with discrete by the other receiving party.

Some example, the man should pay for the meal during their first date. The man should give his girlfriend flowers on their anniversary or Valentine day. The man should open the door for his girlfriend. The man should let his girlfriend sit first at the table. The man should let his girlfriend use the bathroom first and so on. However, this might change after tying the knot. True right?

Now, it is not to say that all women are bad or stuck up. Maybe a small percentage of them think that a man should mandatorily open door for them. Hence, it is not required to say thanks. In my opinion, this situation had turned into another one which I consider her as a rude person.

Then, she doesn't have the obligation to say thanks and I don't have the obligation to let her pass through in the first place. So the question now is thrown back to should I have let her pass through first? If I don't I am not a gentleman. But because I want to be a gentleman I let her pass through. Yet, she might not thank me at all. As a result I say she is a rude person. So, gentlemanly speaking, I'd done the right thing at that point of time by letting her pass through the door first. But I didn't get a word of thanks. Therefore, this brings me to another question, should I open doors for ladies to pass through next time? Yes, this is because there's still one lady who nodded and smile at me.

Fortunately, I have met many polite and courteous lady. It doesn't hurt much to smile and say thank you to people who did something nice for you. Like opening the door to let you pass first or allowing you to go up the steps into the bus or train. Heck, even the old nenek also thank you many times non stop.

William : Ah po ar... you go up first lar...
Nenek : thanks thanks ... you are very nice... thanks thanks... dah tua lar...

That was the best response I ever get so far from an old lady.

williamwilstroth... being a gentleman has it days too...

3 comments :

Yen said...

wei.. i did say thank you to you during lunch time! bo thank me also.. wahahaha..

by the way... "Some example, the man should pay for the meal during their first date. The man should give his girlfriend flowers on their anniversary or Valentine day. The man should open the door for his girlfriend. The man should let his girlfriend sit first at the table. The man should let his girlfriend use the bathroom first and so on."

It's not necessary to do that lah.. haha.. apalah.. everything also first.. .. =.="

Leona said...

well, it's still better to be gentlemen..it's better to do good without expecting returns than to do it for the sake of the benefits rite. even ladies can be 'gentleladies'..i had ladies open doors for me in australia..it was a very pleasant surprise...people here? never seen yet.it's the kiasu attitude

william wilstroth said...

yen : hahahahaha... yeah meh... didn't notice also :P... ok lor next time i be more gentleman to you... hahahahahahaha... by the way, if not everything first... 5 months down the road... the girl will bring everything out... trust me... so better do first... at least the girl have nothing to say in the future... muah ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!!

leona : yeah lor... that's why "takper lar"... be a man...