Monday, September 22, 2008

Anger frust!

Getting a personal line broadband is indeed an exciting marvellous event to have but when it comes to setting up multiple connections for one single line. It's frustrating especially with Streamyx provided modem model DB102 manufactured by Riger. Some said maybe it's only worth RM10. At first I don't believe but as I tried to set it up as router than I found it really unworthy.

Back in few years when this modem was provided it didn't even support routing. It's only for bridging meaning one-to-one connection in Layman's term. However, the new modem that I obtained was the upgraded with routing supported. I followed the instruction provided in such a way:

1) Click on smartconfig.
2) Set up your username and password.
3) Click commit and restart modem.

As soon as I clicked commit and restart modem. The modem did response by constant flicker at the Data light. While my laptop don't even have any line and browser said "You're offline, idiot!". Perhaps, it is due to the switch that I used? I'm using Aztech 8-port switch which doesn't have any options to set. I guess someone out there might help me in this? Maybe I'm still lack of technical skill to set it up.

Anyway, everytime I off the modem and restart it, the line takes some long time blinking before it stabilize.

I tried configure here and there for more than two days but in vain. Alas, I got fed-up. I got a few options:

1) Get a new router+modem with 4 ports.
2) Just get a new router+modem with single port.
3) Throw the modem back to TMnet and demand a new one+configured for routing.

"GRRR#$%^, what's wrong with this modem and switch? Can't they work happily together?





-It's annoying when you can't setup something when you know how to do it!

3 comments :

Yen said...

"Anyway, everytime I off the modem and restart it, the line takes some long time blinking before it stabilize.
" << MEMANG macam ini punya...

why need to setup username and password ah? lol

Why do you use 8 port switch when your modem has routing provided? Does ur modem has more than one port?

Did you plug in the cable properly? I mean between modem and your switch.. got difference one..

If everything's ok then you need to create network LAN.. haha.. (I think so lah.. that's what I did).

If everything completed, plug in cable can online dee mah.. dont forget to change ur IE. .. etc to direct connection to network instead of using proxy.....


lalalal

Crude_Hasting@Jack_Spotting said...

Ah thanks very much for your kind thought. I really appreciate someone kind enough to help me... Thank you!

Actually, I believed you have misunderstood me. When the modem is provided by TMnet or Streamyx (whichever). The modem only has one port with routing capability which provide users to plug switch on it and bravo, multiple users! In early days, this freaky modem don't even come with routing options. Just bridging only. (Sorry, if the technical term is too hard.)

(Answer to your 8-port switch:)
Without the switch, the modem only can plug into one computer so I used the switch. Cos there's more than one person here to share the line. I can't be greedy. LOL And I don't want to direct link to my computer then shared it with another cos when I want to *tidor* the poor guy/gal have to tutup computer also.


(Happily) :-)
However, just last week when I tried configure it again, the modem works like *darn* well! Freaky! So now the modem is routing to 8-ports switch.

Anyway, I already did all the methods you mentioned. Thanks for the concern.

Yen said...

Haha. Previously, I thought you were William. ><

Anyway, when I created a new local area connection, I don't face such problem as you mentioned wor.

Hehehe.